Central Christian Church began in Waco with 18 people worshipping in homes in 1867. The church was chartered in 1870. New converts were baptized in the Brazos River. A Sunday School was organized in 1874 and a building was erected in 1875. A new building was at 11th street and Washington Avenue in 1886. The church relocated to its current location on Lake Shore Drive in 1980.
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is identified with the Protestant “mainstream” and is widely involved in social and other concerns. Disciples have supported vigorously world and national programs of education, agricultural assistance, racial reconciliation, care of the developmentally disabled and aid to victims of war and calamity.
The denomination now counts about 700,000 members in the United States and Canada in about 3,700 congregations. Numerically, the strength of the Disciples of Christ runs in a broad arc that sweeps from Ohio and Kentucky through the Midwest and down into Oklahoma and Texas.
For more information visit www.disciples.org